PICES 2013 Annual Meeting
Communicating forecasts, uncertainty and consequences of
ecosystem change
October 11–20, Nanaimo, BC, Canada


Valid passports are required.

Applicants should apply for a BUSINESS VISA to attend PICES 2013 Annual Meeting.

Participants from some foreign countries may require visas to travel to Canada and are advised to start the application process as soon as possible, at the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate in their countries. 

A letter of invitation from the host country is required for the visa application.

For official invitation letter please contact:
Ms. Philippa Sumsion
Ocean Sciences Division
Institute of Ocean Sciences
9860 West Saanich Road
Sidney, BC
V8L 4B2
E-mail: sumsionp@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Phone:  (1-250) 363 6788
Fax:  (1-250) 363 6690

Requirements to obtain a visa to enter Canada:
The requirements to obtain a visa are set out in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Regulations and they apply equally to anyone wishing to enter Canada, regardless of the purpose of their visit. 
To visit Canada, you must:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport;
  • be in good health;
  • satisfy an immigration officer that you have ties, such as a job, home, financial assets and family, that will take you back to your country of origin;
  • satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit; and
  • have enough money for your stay. The amount of money you will need can vary with the circumstances of the visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives. For more information, visit the website of the visa office responsible for processing your application.

Submission of Applications:
Canada does not have a visa office in every country so it is important that participants visit the website of the visa office responsible for processing their visa application for information on how to submit an application for a TRV and the documentation required to support the application.  To view a list of visa offices and the countries they serve please go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/offices/apply-where.asp 

Visa Application Centres (VACs):
In some countries Citizenship and Immigration Canada has engaged the services of a private service provider to assist individuals applying for CIC services. 

Visa Application Centres (VACs) agents are available to help applicants fill out their forms and answer questions about the application process.  They ensure applications are complete, which reduces the rate of returned applications and ultimately leads to faster processing. 

The VAC sends applications to Visa offices and transmits decisions to applicants in a confidential manner.  VACs play no role in the decision-making process. 

Participants should be encouraged to submit their visa applications through a VAC if this service is available in their country of residence.  They should be invited to check their visa office website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/offices/apply-where.asp) for information on the services available at the VAC serving their area and the costs. 

Instructional Videos on how to complete TRV applications
CIC has available on its internet site instructional videos on how to complete the TRV application on line.  Participants should be encouraged to watch the video to ensure the applications are completed correctly. The videos are available in English French and Spanish at the following link:

Visa Applications Processing Times:
Processing time for TRVs vary depending on the office and the time of the year.  Summer is normally the busiest time.  Participants should be encouraged to apply early for their visa, if one is required, to avoid disappointments

For your general information processing times at the various visa offices are available at the following link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/visitors.asp

For more accurate processing times participants please go the website of the visa office responsible for processing application.  The following link will be helpful http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/information/offices/apply-where.asp 

Please note that the Special Events Unit is not able to expedite the processing of visa applications that are in progress. 

Other information and helpful links

The global acceptance rate for visitor visas is approximately 80% and in the first quarter of 2011 the rate was 82%.  


For additional information on what to do if an application is refused, visit CIC’s website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/temp-resident-visa.asp 

Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site:

Information on visiting Canada:

Do you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada (see for list of countries):

Visiting Canada - Important information for visa exempt travellers (including US Citizens):

Visa Offices outside of Canada:

Adobe Acrobat Reader Publications marked PDF can be viewed and or printed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader®
Home | About | Members | News | Projects | Publications | Meetings | Capacity Development | Contact Us

© All content copyright PICES 2018  All Rights Reserved.   Web Site Design by PICES.   Contact Webmaster Julia Yazvenko