(oral and poster) from the symposium will be included in a special issue
of the ICES Journal of Marine Science (www.ices.dk/products/icesjournal.asp)
scheduled for publication in 2013. In addition, it is anticipated that
selected sessions and workshops will develop their own proposals for special
Manuscript submission instructions
Second international Symposium on “Effects of Climate Change on the World’s Oceans”
Manuscripts that authors wish to have considered for the special symposium issue of the ICES Journal of Marine Science need to be submitted online through the IJMS Manuscript Central website (http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/icesjms) or by clicking “Submit electronically” at the Oxford Journals website (http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org). The symposium issue will be published in hard copy in July 2013; it will be available online in June 2013. To allow for peer review and revisions, all manuscripts must be submitted before 1 September 2012.
Manuscript preparation: Please read the Instructions to Authors carefully and adhere to them (http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/icesjms/for_authors/index.html. Failure to do so may result in early rejection.
- Please note that the symposium has been granted a finite page budget, so to accommodate as many papers as possible, authors are asked to limit their manuscript size to the following desirable maxima: abstract - 200 words; core text (from Introduction to Acknowledgements) - 5500 words; core references - 50; tables and artwork together - 8 of modest size, fewer if they are large. Appendices can be added as Supplementary material for online-only publication.
During the online submission process, you will be asked to supply the following:
- In a cover letter, you must provide a written justification as to why you believe the content of the paper is relevant to the special symposium issue of the Journal, highlighting the paper’s research significance and particularly its innovative message, along with its primary scientific contribution.
- Provide names and current contact addresses (including e-mail addresses) of three appropriate referees who have not been associated with the research being published, or closely affiliated with any of the authors in the past five years.
- Confirm that the material is original, is not submitted elsewhere, and has the full written approval of all co-authors to submit.
- Confirm that the author has adhered to general guidelines for the ethical use of animals in research, the legal requirements of the country in which the work was carried out, and any institutional guidelines (if national certificates are available, append those). If ethical considerations arose in the course of the study, the author should describe in the manuscript how those considerations were addressed. In exceptional cases, where unresolved ethical questions remain, the manuscript may be sent to appropriate experts in the ethical use of animals in research for additional refereeing. In such cases, the decision as to whether the manuscript is accepted for publication remains with the guest editor or, in the final instance, the Journal’s Editor-in-Chief.
Please remember that acceptance will be competitive (based on available publishing space as much as on quality) to get your manuscript accepted in the issue, so adherence to guidelines will have to be the first criterion for selection.
Questions on content matters may be directed to Guest EditorSvein Sundby (email@example.com). Other Guest Editors are Luis Valdes (firstname.lastname@example.org), Hiroaki Saito (email@example.com), and Suam Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Manuscript submission: Our manuscript online submission system is now ready for you to submit your manuscript at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/icesjms.
- Please check if you already have a user account on the system and create one for yourself if not (or amend the existing one if it is out of date; please try not to create a new account if you already have a user account with us, as we will then have duplicate accounts for you).
- Go to your Author Centre and click on the link that allows you to submit a new manuscript. On screen 1 of the submission process, select “Symposium Article” as your manuscript type from below. On screen 5, answer “yes” to the question of whether this submission is intended for a Symposium Issue and, from the drop down menu, select “ICES/PICES Climate Change symposium”. Clearly indicate in your covering letter that the manuscript is intended for a Symposium Issue.
- Text and figures should be in separate files, tables must be editable, and manuscript texts should be submitted in MS Word format; other formats such as LaTeX may be accepted upon prior agreement, but do NOT send manuscript texts in PDF format.
Your manuscript will undergo normal rigorous peer review as you would expect from an international scholarly journal.
Questions on technical issues related to submission may be directed to the editorial office of the journal, Dr Lulu Stader (email@example.com).